Do you want to do something about government spying on your email?
I can show you how to set up and use encrypted email in conjunction with your gmail account. Let me know if you need help and I'll walk you through it. It's really not that hard.
1) Install Thunderbird
2) Configure Thunderbird for your email account(s)
3) Install GnuPG for your OS.
4) Install the Enigmail plugin into Thunderbird (search in Tools/Add-Ons)
5) Create your Public/Private key, howto:
6) Exchange Public keys with friends, or search for them on keyservers, possibly upload your Public key to keyservers
More info: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/digitally-signing-and-encrypting-messages